THE SITUATION IS URGENT; YOUR HELP IS NEEDED
- The Kavanaugh confirmation hearings start tomorrow. A far-right Supreme Court will impact the U.S. for decades. We NEED you to reach out to your senators THIS WEEK.
- The New York State primaries are on Thursday, Sept. 13. This is our chance to vote in fresh, new candidates -- True Blue Democrats -- who will vote for progressive legislation. Help GET OUT THE VOTE.
Suggested actions, phone numbers, and scripts are below.
Monday, September 3, 2018
Be a Video Star: Record a Message to Schumer
A lot of people are unhappy with Senator Schumer these days. Just last week, he accepted a deal to fast-track Trump’s judicial nominees in exchange for a few extra days of recess. This is the OPPOSITE of what he should be doing— especially right before the Kavanaugh hearing. He hasn't rescheduled the town hall he cancelled at the last minute, so Indivisible Nation BK is getting creative and making a video so he can SEE the faces of his constituents. Here's how to participate:
- Put your phone in selfie mode, holding it vertically.
- Record a 3 to 5 second video with a very short message for Schumer and the Democrats. Suggestions include: Stop Kavanaugh; Just say no; Do better; Fight harder; Be a leader; Obstruct; Fight back.
- If you can film in an interesting place, that's a bonus, but home is fine too.
- Email your video to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday, September 6, at 6 pm.
Tuesday, September 4, 2018
Call Chuck Schumer
The Kavanaugh Supreme Court confirmation hearings start today despite the fact that the Republicans are withholding the bulk of documents related to him. Chuck Schumer, as Senate minority leader, has the power to "whip the vote" among the Democrats. Call him and tell him to do his job. Do not leave a message -- make sure you speak to a staffer.
Schumer's phone numbers
Suggested scripts (personalize as desired):
I am a constituent calling from [ZIP CODE]. Senator Schumer MUST whip the vote against Kavanaugh's confirmation as a Supreme Court Justice. Even when the odds are against us I NEED TO SEE HIM WORKING HARD FOR US because the base is working hard for Democrats across this country. We expect Democrats to HOLD THE LINE! Will he ensure that all Democrats vote no and that he'll do everything possible to hold the caucus together?
I am a constituent calling from [ZIP CODE]. Senator Schumer must demand that ALL of Kavanaugh's previous writings be reviewed before any vote takes place. People need to be reminded of how far right he can take the court. Also, he should recognize that a vote for Kavanaugh won't win over Republicans in red states. It will just threaten the support of progressive activists who have been making change happen across this country.
Wednesday, September 5, 2018
Call Kirsten Gillibrand
We know Senator Gillibrand is voting against Kavanaugh. Call her anyway to offer encouragement. Again, be sure to speak to a staffer rather than leaving a voicemail.
Gillibrand's phone numbers
Suggested script (personalize as desired): I am a constituent calling from [ZIP CODE]. I know we can count on Senator Gillibrand voting "No" on Kavanaugh, and I thank her for that. I'm calling to ask her and her fellow senators to keep demanding to see all of Kavanaugh's records. Also, I've been asking her colleague Chuck Schumer to whip the vote against Kavanaugh and getting no response. Can she let Schumer know that her office is getting calls complaining that he is unresponsive?
Thursday, September 6, 2018
Blue Wave Festival - Manhattan
208 W. 13th St.
6 p.m. - 9 p.m.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED ACTIVITY! From the organizers: "The Blue Wave Festival is a one-stop shop for NYC progressives looking to volunteer in this year’s crucial local and statewide races." The FREE event will include:
- Candidate tables
- Second home voter registration
- Car share & hosting facilitation
- Voter registration & voter registration training
- Sign-up for pre-planned Get Out the Vote Trips
- Postcard writing and other creative Get Out the Vote efforts
- Legal observation training & know your rights
- Plus election-related crafting for kids and adults, a DJ, and food!
Remember, the state primaries are just one week away!
Friday, September 7, 2018
Resistbot Both Senators
It's no different than texting your family and friends: Use Resistbot to electronically send a message to both our senators. To get started, text the word RESIST to 50409 and the bot will walk you through the rest. After you set up your account the first time, it will take you two minutes or even less to message your senators any time of the day or night. Resistbot is free and available 24/7. Do it while you're on your lunch break, watching TV, walking the dog, or on the train. If you're not sure what you want to write about, text the word TOPIC and the bot will make a suggestion.
Saturday, September 8, 2018
Blue Wave Festival - Brooklyn
85 S Oxford St.
1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Couldn't make the Blue Wave Festival on Thursday night? You have another opportunity in Brooklyn. If you haven't participated in any or many Get Out the Vote activities, this is the place to go and sign up. Again, a highly recommended and FREE activity in a festive atmosphere.
-- Weekly newsletter #78 written by Wendy Brandes, executive committee, Indivisible Upper East Side