REMINDER: Thursday, Sept. 13, is Primary Day AND our next monthly meeting.
Monday, September 10, 2018
Volunteer With Democratic Candidates
This Thursday is Primary Day, meaning its our big opportunity to flip the New York State senate "True Blue" by voting out the fake Democrats who vote with Republicans as members of the Independent Democratic Conference. In these last crucial days, you are strongly urged to contact the IDC challengers' campaigns directly to volunteer. To find calendars of volunteer opportunities, click here, then locate the tabs with the candidates' names on them at the bottom of your screen.
- You can also help by printing these posters to display in your apartment building or workplace. Local businesses are often amenable to putting up signs. Ask the nearest store or restaurant to hang one up!
Tuesday, September 11, 2018
Reach Out to the Voters in Your Life
Take the time to personally discuss Thursday's primary with friends, family, neighbors, and colleagues anywhere in New York State. They might not realize it is Primary Day. They might not realize how important this primary is and how close we are to making real change. Share these videos from the Creative Resistance by email and social media with anyone who needs more information:
- "Lulu Land," narrated by Edie Falco, is good way to explain to your friends what the IDC is about. You can also use this text as a short description: "Eight New York State 'Democratic' Senators created the Independent Democratic Conference (IDC) and refused to caucus with the Democrats, handing control of the state senate to Republicans in exchange for money, perks, and personal power."
- "Hot Air" is a series of ads featuring the IDC members as car dealership balloons flip-flopping between Democrat and Republican.
Wednesday, September 12, 2018
Call Your Senators About Kavanaugh
We're not forgetting about Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, who lied during last week's confirmation hearings. Click here to see last week's newsletter for office phone numbers and suggested scripts. You should send the same messages electronically via Resistbot. To start using Resistbot, text the word RESIST to 50409. The bot will walk you through the rest.
*THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 13, 2018 - PRIMARY DAY - TWO ACTIONS*
This primary election could be a game-changer for New York State. Bring people with you when you vote. Greet everyone you see that day with, "Did you vote today?" Polls open at 6 a.m. and close at 9 p.m.
- Confirm your registration.
- Find your polling place.
- See who is going to be on your ballot.
- Review the Four Freedoms Democratic Club endorsements here.
- Candidates will still be canvassing on Election Day! For information on joining one of the campaigns, click here, then find the tabs with the candidates' names on them at the bottom of your screen.
(2) Indivisible UES Monthly Meeting
Unitarian Church of All Souls
80th and Lex, basement level
7:30 p.m. - 9 p.m.
Everyone is welcome at our monthly meeting. We'll be gearing up for Election Day in November. Cast your primary votes before you go to the meeting!
Friday, September 14, 2018
Email Senators Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska
Email the Republican senators and urge them to vote against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh (contact links in the title above). It is recommended that you compose a personalized message based on Kavanaugh's performance at last week's hearings, as well as the suppression of documentation related to his career. Suggested opening sentence is:
- I am not a constituent of yours but I am writing because your vote on Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh will affect the entire nation for decades.
Separately, a fundraising campaign is underway to fund a Democratic opponent to Collins if she follows party line on Kavanaugh. Learn more about that and donate here.
-- Weekly newsletter #79 written by Wendy Brandes, executive committee, Indivisible Upper East Side